Wednesday, October 01, 2008


Friends and Family,

The last few weeks have been some of the toughest we've experienced yet. Most of you know that I had surgery for an ectopic pregnancy. It was performed by our friend, Dr. Philip Alexander, and my care was as good or better than it would have been anywhere. (At what hospital do they pray over you before they make an incision?) After three days in the hospital, I returned home where Grant continued waiting on me and administering my medications. He's become a better cook than me, and I think he's forgotten that I even know how to do laundry! I'm healing physically, walking and moving more and more each day. We have not been without company, welcoming visitors at all times of day. It is customary in this community to visit the sick (even if you're just a little sick), and the believers never leave without a time of prayer. I have witnessed some of the most beautiful, heartfelt prayers from our local friends at my bedside.

Emotional healing is taking a little longer. Our desire for a child has been so strong, and losing the baby is a pain I can barely describe. But God is with us, bringing a verse, a thought, or an encouraging word from friends and family almost every day.

YOU have been amazing. Your love and prayers have carried us through many dark and heavy days, and we haven't lost hope. Thank you so very much for following us through this time. It hurt my heart to know that so many people were excited and then brought low right along with us. At the same time I was thankful we didn't have to bear it alone. We love you. We love the Body of Christ that you represent.

Song lyrics keep coming to my mind (or come to us as gifts from friends) during this time. A favorite praise song that we often sang at Broad River Community Church speaks to what I've felt:

"My Soul is weak, my heart is numb, I cannot see.
Still my hope is found in You.
I hold on tightly, You will never let me go,
Jesus You will never fail."


"All the paths of the Lord are loving and faithful." --Psalm 25:10

With so much love,
Charlene and Grant

These photos were taken just a few days ago, at a hotel Grant took me to for a sweet time of rest. It had good food, a beautiful view, and my favorite part--a real shower. :)

6 comments:

Allyson said...

Charlene - I love you and you know I hold you always in my prayers. I so hope to see you over the holidays.
Love,
Allyson

Brad Borders said...

Much love to you guys! We miss you both and are all proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you two. I'm moved by grief over your awful loss. But also inspired by your perspective and by your love for one another. You both mean so much to us...

~Andy

Tim, Terre, Ethan and Owen said...

Know that we love you and are praying for you both.
-Tim and Terre

My name is Stephen said...

you guys rock!!!

Lauren said...

Love you both so very much. Approaching the Throne right now on your behalf.


Micah 7:7-8

Lauren