A couple of months ago I noticed that our youth group at home, BRCC's youth, were challenged to memorize a chapter of scripture. Our friends and youth leaders, Brandon and Leigh Ann, treated the successful youth to a rafting trip. We decided to do something similar, partly because of the BRCC challenge, and partly because one of our older youth scoffed at our challenge to memorize "only one verse" per week! :)
We decided to invite

them to memorize a chapter of Ephesians as we were studying that book for the past six weeks. It became a hot topic of discussion among them, and it was beautiful to see them studying together or asking each other how many verses the other person had completed so far. Living at the children's home, we would find many of them standing outside in the mornings with what looked like blank stares toward the mountains, only to find out that they were rehearsing their verses.
Well, 19 of them memorized and recited complete chapters of Ephesians. We were so proud of them and excited to reward them with a special Sunday lunch. We talked to the staff at the best restaurant in town, Johnson's, and they arranged a delicious buffet for all of us at a reasonable price. They even offered to let them play croquet on their lawn, which was a new experience for all of us!
We remain exceedingly grateful for these beautiful students, amazed at times that we get to share life with them. Please keep all of us in your prayers.


5 comments:
My joy is inexpressible in this moment -hurray for the sword of the Spirit!
This is wonderful! Thank you for challenging and stretching them. In a culture that learns mostly from memorization the need to hide the Word in thier hearts simply needs to be encouraged. I know they will remember this for the rest of their lives! I hope they are inspired to keep going as well!
Thanks for your comment and encouragement, Rachel. I was following what you were doing with your own children, too, and I was really excited. :)
Love this post! 30, 60, 100 times what was sown is what I think of when I read of your work with these teens. . .
Thanks, friend. That is such an encouragement.
Post a Comment