Thursday, July 24, 2014

A time of refreshing


Being back in the States always has it's blessings and challenges. Last time we were here we wrote about our struggles with technological advances and the general differences in culture that we were personally struggling with. This time those things haven't stood out so much, except for one thing: There are naked people on primetime television! ("Naked and Afraid" on Animal Planet) But I won't dwell on that in this small space.
A few months ago we shared here about the changes happening with our funding and connection with Crossroads Ministries. Our initial commitment to Crossroads was to serve for two to three years and then see how God would lead. Now, looking back on 6 years being supported by Crossroads, we are filled with deep gratitude. We truly would not be who and where we are today without Clayton and our friends that work for this ministry. As Crossroads Ministries moves to a new location and is going through many changes, we are also entering a new season of life. We have connected with a non-profit organization called the International Mountain Leadership Institute who will now be processing our financial support. We are excited about this new opportunity to partner with this organization that was created by and is made up of like-minded Believers. The great thing is that we will now be able to continue to live, minister, and work in Manali in much the same way that we have been! But, certainly as transition goes, this has not been a change that has been without difficulty.
During this visit, we are for the first time seeking new financial partners to allow us to continue serving in India. But as we are learning, this is part of our ministry too. It has also been difficult to be away from our youth, particularly when some of them are hurting and others are going off to college in our absence. But God is great, and we really do know He is caring for them daily as He is caring and providing for us.
The recognizable blessings have far outweighed the challenges this first month, however. In four weeks we have experienced several joyous events and enjoyed time with so many beautiful friends and family members. Grant and I attended my 20 year high school reunion in Florida, which allowed me to reconnect with dear friends who used to mean the world to my 15 to 18-year-old heart. I've been able to meet up with a couple of them and have plans to see one more soon. It caused me to reflect a lot on days gone by, and gave me reason to praise God again for the way He calls us to Himself and holds onto us so tightly.
I can't say enough about the sweet days we were able to spend with my mom and sister, niece and nephew, brother and brother-in-law. I felt as though I was trying to soak in the maximum amount of time and presence with them that could be stuffed into a few weeks. A couple of forever friends (found in North Carolina but relocated to Florida) met me for meals, showering me with the blessed encouragement that friendship brings. As I stayed on in Florida a couple of extra weeks, Grant spent time in North Carolina enjoying some of the same quality time with his parents and nephew, and life-giving nourishment from Godly men in our community. Some of these same friends have affirmed God's work through us by handing us checks or pledging much needed monthly support, reminding us of God's continued provision just as we were beginning to waver. He is so amazingly good to us.
Finally, I want to praise God for His constancy in the in-between times. One Sunday, Grant sent me a brief recording of our home church's praise and worship time. He was moved by the beauty of the music, a sweet offering of praise to the God who is in control of everything. That same morning I attended the service of my sister's church, Immanuel Anglican of Destin, FL, a body of believers full of love and joy in the Holy Spirit. My eyes filled with tears as we received communion; I was so touched by the presence of God and His giving of Himself to us. It really brought life and faith into perspective for me again.
With just under a month remaining for our time here in the States, there are so many of you we still hope to see. Please let us know if you have time to get together. We praise God for our home church, Broad River Community, for our friends at Danville Baptist and now Immanuel Anglican, and thank Him for each of you who continue to pray for and support us.
Charlene's hometown city park
That I "may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead." --Philippians 3:9-11

1 comment:

Jason Roszhart said...

Wow, praise be to God that I could get to see y'all this summer! What a joy to see you again face to face, and I'm excited to see when God will let us meet next. :) Glad it's been refreshing and continuing to pray for those youth too!

Grace and peace,
J