Sunday, May 31, 2009



We just said good-bye to four special friends, three of whom are from our home church. Last week was full of activities conducted by them that were useful and relevant, contributing to the relationships we have been forming for the past year in this place. Here are some of the ways our friends served here:

Annie: Taught a workshop series to the teachers here at Daystar school, focusing on Classroom Management, Learning Disabilities, and Teaching strategies. They thanked her with hugs and a gift, and obviously appreciated her by the smiles on their faces. Annie also acted as encourager and dear friend to me, spending several mornings with me on the balcony over coffee and in deep conversation. I love that girl so much, and it was such a blessing for me to have that time with her.

Robbie: Held a three-day guitar workshop, focusing on six boys that are growing in their skills. Three of them are believers, moving toward leading worship in different settings, and three of them are not. I know that Robbie had a positive and loving influence on each of them. He also made himself available to me as my personal lead guitarist, participating in music at church with a few of our youth, a small worship session with friends, and choir practice at the school. I am so thankful that he was able to invest in these young men like he did.

Elizabeth: Held a two-day workshop for beginner guitar students, and conducted two sessions of art activities. Elizabeth was also commissioned to paint on some hospital windows, and she did a beautiful job!

Brent: Taught our youth on Saturday, our church on Sunday, and at a Hindi-speaking house group on Wednesday. He was very well-liked. Even one of my students commented on his teaching, appreciating the clarity and simplicity of his message. The church congregation actually clapped for him, which might just be a first for us. :)

Brent and Robbie were also great encouragements for Grant, giving him some good guy-time. I know he's missing them already.

We are incredibly thankful for the opportunity to share our lives here with these four friends. I have to say, though, that I honestly could not have gotten on that bus with them on Friday. I am so immersed in life here right now, especially with some students that I love like my own children. I can't imagine walking away from them. When the time comes, I have to trust that God will prepare my heart for that separation. Until then, I hope to take every opportunity to love and serve them.

Upcoming events: Grant is teaching first aid to a group of employees at a nearby hydroelectric plant this week. Next week, we both get to go camping with my 9th and 10th grade students. I'm extremely excited about that time with them! Grant's parents and nephew will be arriving after a few weeks to spend some time with us. After that, we'll take our visa run out of the country.

Please keep us in your prayers as we try to be spiritual parents to several teenagers in our lives. (One of them literally calls us Mami and Papa). Also pray for continued growth in our friendships with school and hospital staff, as well as with friends from the community.

We love you, and even though we are planted here, you are our support and encouragement. Thank you for your love and especially for your prayers.

With love and joy,
Grant and Charlene

4 comments:

Brad Borders said...

Much love to you both and it was so good talking to Grant the other day!
Its hard to believe its been a year!

May God bless you with another fruitful year.

Kaitlyn Rose said...

Charlene,

That video brought tears to my eyes. This blog entry is so precious, and a wonderful reminder of the incredible work God is doing in India. I needed to read this tonight. Thank you for your faithfulness.

I love you.

Kevin said...

Praise God! I get so excited every time I see pictures of Caleb-I gave several big fist pumps to this post and I still can't stop grinning!

Miranda said...

I LOVE it!! It's so great to read about what's going on there and to SEE a little video clip of the Body there. just beautiful. We love y'all and are SO very proud of you!! And of course seeing your faces & reading your words only makes us miss you all the more!!